Homemade Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 1/2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic (use fairly small ones)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Parsley and red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Move an oven rack so that it is about 5 inches from the broiler. Turn oven broiler on.
- Remove core of peppers then cut into large flat pieces. Arrange pepper pieces, skin-side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 5 to 10 minutes until the peppers skin has charred.
- Add peppers to a resealable plastic bag, seal then wait 10 to 15 minutes until cool enough to handle. Or, add peppers to a bowl then cover with plastic wrap and wait 10 to 15 minutes.
- Gently peel away the charred pepper skin
- Chop peppers and start hummus
Add chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and cumin to your food processor. Pulse for a couple minutes, then scrape down sides and bottom of processor. Add olive oil and chopped peppers. Pulse mixture for 1 minute, then add 1 tbsp water to thin and pulse 1 minute longer. Add more water if you would like a thinner consistency.