Miracle Peppermint Espresso Scrub
It’s like clockwork, the second the temperature drops, my skin morphs into a dull, lifeless mess. So I took the liberty of conducting some research in hopes to find a combination of natural ingredients that I could use to heal my skin. Now, I’m all about instant gratification (but aren’t we all?). So finding something that worked quickly was key!
The three ingredients I discovered were espresso coffee grounds, peppermint essential oil, and coconut oil. Alone these ingredients are fantastic, but together? Magic!
I honestly have not had such smooth and soft skin in my life. And the best part is that it’s literally instant!
The magic potion broken down:
Let’s discuss the coffee grounds first. According to Julia Hunter, MD—a dermatologist at Wholistic Dermatology in Beverly Hills, CA—applying coffee grounds topically can help brighten skin, prevent clogged pores, and soften lines. She also explained that coffee contains acids that give you chemical exfoliation on top of mechanical exfoliation (which is an essential part of a skincare routine).
Now to the peppermint oil. Other than just being a genius mixture with the coffee espresso (it smells like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie…swoon.) it has a variety of skincare benefits as well. Peppermint oil helps oil secretion in skin, which helps prevent acne. Like the coffee grounds, it also helps brighten and tone skin. Peppermint oil has healing properties for your lips as well, which is why it’s often used in lip balms.
Finally, the holy grail of skincare, coconut oil! It is one of most effective natural moisturizers, it heals and protects skin, is an antioxidant, and has the ability to prevent premature aging and wrinkles.
Note: 100 grams of coconut oil has about 0.1 mg of vitamin E
So let’s craft this amazing skincare cocktail!
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic espresso coffee grounds
- a few drops of peppermint essential oil
- Finely grind 1/4 C of organic espresso coffee beans. Make sure they are finely ground or may be too harsh for skin.
- Heat coconut oil for 30 seconds in microwave or until it is liquid—do not bring to a boil!
- Mix together coffee grounds, coconut oil, and peppermint oil in a mason jar or other glass sealable container.
- Apply to wet skin with gentle circular motions—if you are too rough you may cause damage and irritation to your skin, so let the grounds do the work!
- Let mixture sit on skin for a minute or two, then rinse.
- Towel dry your skin in gentle patting motions.